IRS NEWS FOR TAX PROFESSIONALS
July 19, 2:00 p.m. (ET), 1:00 p.m. (CT), 12:00 p.m. (MT), 11:00 a.m. (PT)
The Office of Professional Responsibility: What You Need to Know About Practicing Before the IRS
- This FREE 2-hour broadcast is for all tax professionals.
- Regulations governing tax practice before the IRS (Circular 230, Rev. 6/2014)
- Due diligence obligations of tax professionals
- Overview of other key Circular 230 provisions
- Practitioner responsibilities to their clients and to the tax administration system
- Best practices for all tax professionals
- Office of Professional Responsibility policies and procedures
- Certificates of completion are being offered. Earn 2 CE credits of Ethics.
- Click HERE for National and Local webinars for Tax Professionals.
- Click HERE for webinars and videos recently posted to the IRS Video Portal.
Follow @IRStaxpros on Twitter
· @IRStaxpros is an IRS Twitter feed offering daily news and guidance for tax professionals. Follow it at https://twitter.com/irstaxpros.
For Letter Rulings and Similar Requests: Electronic Payment of User Fees Starts June 15; Replaces Paying by Check
· Beginning June 15, taxpayers requesting letter rulings, closing agreements and certain other rulings from the Internal Revenue Service will need to make user fee payments electronically using the federal government’s Pay.gov system.
What's New - Estate and Gift Tax
· Revenue Procedure 2017-34 provides a simplified method to obtain an extension of time under § 301.9100-3 to file a return to elect portability of the deceased spousal unused exclusion (DSUE) amount pursuant to § 2010(c)(5)(A).
· For additional topics, see What's New - Estate and Gift Tax on IRS.gov
Interest Rates Remain the Same for the Third Quarter of 2017
· Interest rates will remain the same for the calendar quarter beginning July 1, 2017. The rates will be:
o four (4) percent for overpayments (three (3) percent in the case of a corporation);
o 1 and one-half (1.5) percent for the portion of a corporate overpayment exceeding
o four (4) percent for underpayments; and
o six (6) percent for large corporate underpayments.
· Under the Internal Revenue Code, the rate of interest is determined on a quarterly basis. For taxpayers other than corporations, the overpayment and underpayment rate is the federal short-term rate plus 3 percentage points.
PTIN System Down
· On June 1, 2017, the United States District Court for the District of Columbia upheld the Internal Revenue Service’s authority to require the use of a Preparer Tax Identification Number (PTIN), but enjoined the IRS from charging a user fee for the issuance and renewal of PTINs. As a result of this order, PTIN registration and renewal is currently suspended.
· The IRS, working with the Department of Justice, is considering how to proceed. As additional information becomes available, it will be posted on our Tax Pros page.
RPO to Inactivate/Terminate Enrolled Agents Who Haven't Renewed
· Beginning in June 2017, the Return Preparer Office (RPO) will send letters to enrolled agents whose enrollment status is being inactivated or terminated because of failure to renew.
Opportunity Coming to Participate in New Correspondence Examination Digital Pilot Program
· The IRS Taxpayer Digital Communications (TDC) Secure Messaging pilot program has started with correspondence examinations involving Schedule A and has expanded to include some other issues. During the pilot the IRS will invite approximately 8,000 taxpayers under correspondence examinations to communicate with the Service using secure messaging through digital communication channels.
· The pilot program is by invitation only. Taxpayers and their tax professionals with valid powers of attorney (POA) can participate only if the client receives a marketing insert or letter saying they are eligible.
· If your client is invited, encourage him or her to volunteer for this pilot program. Your POA must already be on file and showing on the Centralized Authorization File (CAF) system before you as a tax professional can participate.
· After your client receives an invitation and registers via IRS Secure Access, you must also authenticate via IRS Secure Access under your own SSN and complete the “Request Access” verification process. After IRS verifies the POA is authorized, you will have access to your own secure message mailbox in TDC to receive copies of messages and communicate with IRS.
· The tax professional community is an important part of our process for improving customer service. We appreciate and value your input.
►TAXES. SECURITY. TOGETHER. (Identity Theft)
- IRS Offers Help to Students, Families to Get Tax Information for Student Financial Aid Applications
- The U.S. Department of Education today announced the IRS Data Retrieval Tool is now available for borrowers applying for an income-driven repayment plan. New encryption protections have been added to the Data Retrieval Tool to further protect taxpayer information. The IRS Data Retrieval Tool will return Oct. 1, 2017, on the online 2018–19 Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA®) form.
IRS Approves First Group of Certified Professional Employer Organizations; More Expected in Coming Months
· The IRS issued notices of certification to 84 organizations that applied for voluntary certification as a Certified Professional Employer Organization (CPEO).
· After the IRS receives the required surety bond from an approved CPEO applicant, the IRS will publish that CPEO’s name, address, and effective date of certification on IRS.gov.
· Under legislation enacted in late 2014, the IRS established a voluntary certification program for professional employer organizations (PEOs). These organizations typically handle various payroll administration and tax reporting responsibilities for their business clients.
· Certification affects the employment tax liabilities of both the CPEO and its clients. A CPEO is generally treated as the employer of any individual performing services for a client of the CPEO and covered by a CPEO contract between the CPEO with the client, but only for wages and other compensation paid to the individual by the CPEO.
· To become and remain certified under the new program, CPEOs must meet tax compliance, background, experience, business location, financial reporting, bonding, and other requirements.
►TAX EXEMPT ORGANIZATIONS
· Go to Stay Exempt on IRS.gov https://www.stayexempt.irs.gov/ to see Issue Podcasts on:
· When are Commercial-Type Activities a Substantial Nonexempt Purpose for an IRC 501(c)(3) Organization?
o Learn about determining when commercial-type activities further a substantial nonexempt purpose for an IRC 501(c)(3) organization
· IRC 501(c)(3) Proposing Denial
o Learn about the five-step roadmap the IRS uses to determine whether proposing denial is appropriate for an organization requesting recognition of tax exemption under IRC 501(c)(3)
· What is an Issue Podcast?
o An Issue Podcast is a resource the IRS uses for sharing technical knowledge.
o An Issue Podcast is a short (approximately 15 minute), on-demand audio and visual presentation that includes:
o A brief summary and analysis of an issue
o References to key resource materials
►NEWS FROM OTHER AGENCIES
· Four Resources to Help You Create a Safe Workplace
o When was the last time you revisited your workplace safety plan? Not only is it the law, but it also can ensure that you and your employees are always safe.
o We would like to highlight four resources that will help you identify unsafe behaviors, create opportunities for improvement and help you (and your employees) make well-informed safety decisions on a daily basis.
· Savings Plans for Small Businesses
o This self-paced training exercise will give you an overview of savings plans and strategies for your small business.
o Learn about the contingency and long-term savings, tax breaks, retirement savings and much more.
►IN EVERY ISSUE
Small Business and Self-Employed Tax Center
Understanding Your IRS Notice or Letter
Basic Tools for Tax Professionals
Recent Tax Scams and Consumer Alerts
Identity Protection: Prevention, Detection and Victim Assistance
Federal Trade Commission: